Draft of branch maintainence and release plans....

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jul 8 17:06:03 GMT 2002

David Collier-Brown wrote:

> [And someone said]
> > > I don't see this being in 3.0.  Maybe a later release, but there is more
> > > work 'todo' in this area that you might expect.  Natrually, Samba->Samba
> > > replication will be fully supported.
>

> Gerald Carter wrote:
> > This is where you and i disagree on what's important.  I'm not
> > saying you have to do it, but I do have a problem of keep us
> > as developers promising something and never delivering.
> > **If** we can deliver this, then we have a smooth road for migrating
> > from NT 4.0 PDC's to Samba DC's.  This may also buy us time
> > in the requests for a Samba Win2K compatible DC.
>
>         Am I misunderstanding, or was Andrew suggesting
>         that PDC improvement should be put on hold while
>         the team works on AD functionality?

I've never suggested that anybody put any work on hold.  I'm just
worried about others promising features that I personally feel might not
be compleated in the timeframe and that I *know* have major hurdles in
the way.  In particular given that I'll probalby be the one working on
it anyway.   (I just like to set my own timelines).

I'm currently putting a lot of effort into both getting a workable,
*real*, SAM implmenentation - so as to allow the AD work.

>         I'm of the opinion that a good, workmanlike
>         kerberos implementation able to work with AD
>         is the most desirable single item for 3.0, and
>         that there is a community of folks, like myself,
>         that would like to jump from a security=user,
>         unix-centric configuration straight to a security=kerberos
>         unix-centric configuration (;-))

Given current progress, this isn't somthing that will be done for 3.0,
but is a very worthwhile goal.  (Actually, most of the work is really
outside Samba anyway).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net