What is the case for preserving case under Samba ...

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Sun Jul 7 22:34:02 GMT 2002

At 3:24 PM -0700 7/7/02, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>I want to preserve case sensitive behaviour for NFS and UNIX clients,
>while reducing the current high cost to CIFS users of providing
>case-insensitive behaviour.

You mean, you want case-sensitive clients to receive preserve-cased
filenames, and non-case-sensitive clients to receive default-cased
filenames ... correct?

That is, there are:

	- local Unix processes, on the Samba host, and ...
	- NFS clients, which "want" the case to be preserved.
	- SMB/CIFS (and other) clients, which do not care about case

and that the idea here is to provide each with what works best for them.

Conrad Minshall wrote:
>> Nice goal.

I agree. But, is it possible for Samba to determine which clients
are which?  This would be necessary, or the administrator would
have to set up smb.conf include files explicitly for each client
on the network (which would not be a fun maintenance task!).

Jay Ts
jay at jayts.cx