[Samba] RE: FW: samba woes

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Thu Jul 4 06:06:02 GMT 2002

[Snip - regarding Winbindd over tcp]

> > It's currently rather shoddy, I must admit.
>
> New efforts along these lines are definately interesting.
> I'd love to see the code.

Here's what I have so far, only two files needed to be changed,
wb_common.c and winbindd.c:

Disclaimer: This hasn't been tested a lot. The part where one reads
the configuration file stinks (no name resolving, not very robust, and
I'm entirely sure that it doesn't leak). Be warned, this is seriously,
seriously crappy code. But it did work for me, and after some more
testing we will put it in production.

The patch is against 2.2.5 - I'm not working with HEAD yet, but I will.
I imagine incorporating it into HEAD won't be difficult.

Please tell me what you think. The concept is IMO simpler than having
some sort of wierd backend where everyone checks the mapping. This
way - one winbindd - lots of clients. We do the same (with more robust
code,
albeit not very suitable for external uses - it uses some propietry
libraries
and extremely silly ways of getting the port number and IP host to
connect
to) in a cluster environment and haven't experienced any difficulties.

Thanks!
Nir.

--
Nir Soffer -=- Software Engineer, Exanet Inc. -=-
"Father, why are all the children weeping? / They are merely crying son