smbmount with big file sizes

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jul 3 09:00:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Les Barstow wrote:

> Is there a reason this hasn't made it into the Samba and mnt.smbfs main
> trees yet?  I would have use of it, but it seems odd that it isn't
> included in many default kernel builds or in the main Samba build - I
> don't want to mess up a production box by doing so.

It is in the 2.5 kernel but not in 2.4.

The kernel patch changes how smbfs reads and writes. A potential effect an
error is that reads or writes could corrupt data, possibly without saying
they did so. Therefore it's not for 2.4 just yet, and if you use it ...
md5sum is your friend.

That said, I have a bunch of positive reports on it and the patches have
been around for a couple of months now.

The samba patch is harmless and just adds a flag that tells libsmb to
set a certain bit when it negotiates (samba 2.2.2 or so used to do that
anyway ...). I'll get that merged for 2.2.6.

If you by "messing up" mean that you don't want to install from source,
you could take the src.rpm (or whatever) add the patches to the SOURCES
dir and to the .spec file(s), update the Relase number(s) and 'rpm -bb'.

Otherwise bug your vendor. :)

/Urban