Is it a bug or a feature?

Bogdan Iamandei bogdan at its.uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 2 23:12:01 GMT 2002

	I have a little question to the list here. I have Samba 2.2.4
running on a production swerver. All is nice and fine, as long as new
users don't need to connect. The setup is done in such way that when a
new user connects - if their home directory does not exist - it will be
created on the spot by a script specified with "root preexec" in the
[homes] share.

Now, with the very old version of samba - this worked fine. However,
with the one I am now on - it seems that if the home dir does not exist
the user gets an error message - and the preexec directive never gets
executed.

The current work around is to have the home directory created when the
user maps the [netlogon] share and be done with it. However - this does
not protect them against - say - attempting to map their home directory
from a smbclient session (which does not go through mapping [netlogon]
first).

So - to cut a long story short:

Is it normal for "preexec" directives to be skipped if the share they're
associated with does not exist in the first place?

						Regards,
							Bogdan.

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion.  I watched C-beams glitter in the dark