Proposed patch for DNS and name resolution related problems inappliance branch

Mike Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at alcatel.com
Mon Jul 1 06:39:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 04:37, Toomas Soome wrote:

> Please keep in mind that there is ns cache on some platforms already
> (solaris nscd etc), so this feature should be possible to be switched
> off.
>
> toomas

nscd only comes into play when get*by*() routines (e.g. gethostbyname())
are used.  If you bypass the name service switch by calling res_*(),
nscd does not cache the info.  I think that it is safe to say that if
you link against libresolv, you will be bypassing nscd.

But... that begs the question, why not just use gethostbyname()?  This
way it will get resolved out of /etc/hosts, NIS, LDAP, DNS, etc., and
nscd will take care of it.  nscd exists on Solaris, Linux, and should be
available anywhere else that glibc works.

Mike