(no subject)

Ulf Bertilsson ulf.bertilsson at adcomdata.no
Mon Jul 1 05:25:02 GMT 2002

> On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 11:42, Ulf Bertilsson wrote:
> > An dummy "desktop.ini" and some generic cached fileid to show
> > fancy icons would be nice, but brake stuff.
>
> I would not make that.

I know, it don't make sence but the idea would provide great
preformance.
Like, my os don't multiuser filesystem (builtin that is)

Why should we waste IO to try emulate unix rights
when we could just give an mask ?

NT also do this crazy file IO, why not just feed it some generic stuff
to keep it happy.
My OS don't support half of it's operands anyway.

Not to mention the file examination explorer do.

Isn't the .icon stuff stured in the PX exe file resource ?

(Ages size I played with it)

> > Then my os allow many strange filenames, how should that be
> dealt with ?
>
> We check if the filename is OK (do not have invalid chracters) yet, if
> so we mangle it, but this a O(n) operation.

What would the "correct" way be here.
Bear in mind that there is more none POSIX platforms out there.

An basic open() on the file first for sanity check ?

--
Ulf