smbwall

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:29:02 GMT 2002

On 31 Jan 2002, Scott Gifford wrote:

> "Garry J. Garrett" <garry_garrett at csgsystems.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > My point is, I'm sure that there is a limitation somewhere; we just
> > don't know what that limit is.  It may be smaller than you are inclined
> > to think at first glance.  That's all I'm trying to say.
>
> I'm sure this is true, but as long as it can easily be turned off with
> an smb.conf option, it should be OK.  If you have more smbds than
> ptys, you just don't configure Samba to allocate ptys.
>
> Do you see any problems with this approach?

It seems like this could really bite someone though.  What if over time
you start getting more samba connections?  Sometimes it is not possible to
plan ahead for this situation either.  I don't really know, but it seems
like running out of ptys would be a very bad thing.

I'm in favor of another approach someone else mentioned: just allocate one
pty for all the smbds.  You can't send individual messages then, but it
covers the wall/shutdown case nicely.

	Andy