CIFS entensions for UNIX in smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Jan 29 11:48:04 GMT 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, C.Lee Taylor wrote:

>     Will this patch for Linux Kernel 2.4.17 make it into 2.4.18? ( Would
> just like to know if this is been past back to the Linux Kernel 2.4
> maintainer, Marcelo ) ...

2.4 is for bugfixes and known-to-be-stable additions. This does not fall
into either category and should not be added yet. I have also commented
privately on some issues with the code. Nothing major.

> P.S. I remember something, not to long ago, about a patch for smbfs
> supporting LFS, will this make it into Samba 2.2.3 & Kernel 2.4.18? ..

No.

That samba patch is wrong because it has to tell the server if the client
supports LFS or not, and it can't know that because smbfs may not even be
loaded into the kernel yet.

The smbfs LFS patch will be making into 2.5 and if no one complains
something like it will then later make it into 2.4. Not 2.4.18 though.

/Urban