"hide unreadable" does not hide unreadable directories

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jan 28 20:47:02 GMT 2002

I've posted this to samba at samba.org twice with no response, so I
thought I'd escalate.  If this is inappropriate, I apologize.

Running FreeBSD 4.4 and 4.3 with Samba 2.2.2_2 (installed from
FreeBSD ports)
Turning on "hide unreadable" works with regular files but does
not hide unreadable/unscannable directories.
Is this behaviour intended?  Is it the same way on Linux?
I hacked dir.c to use a call to access(1) instead of
user_can_read_file() and I get the behaviour I was desiring.
I'm guessing this won't work correctly with the vfs system (although
I don't fully understand how that works yet) but it's getting me by
for now.
Any and all comments are welcome.

(please c.c. me @ wmoran at potentialtech dot com on replies as I'm not
currently subscribed to samba-technical)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services