Joining domain without specifying the domain controller's name ...

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Mon Jan 28 14:06:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:07:54AM +1030, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I thought that it was possible with some version of Samba to join a
> domain without knowing the domain controllers name.
>
> Was I wrong?

I think the net command in HEAD allows this now.

Here's an exercise in eating your own dogfood.  Try to change a NT
domain password using only smbpasswd and a Unix machine that isn't
running Samba and not joined to a domain.  Bonus marks if you can do it
on a large corporate WAN without knowing the name of the PDC or the WINS
server address.

Oh man what's awful taste in my mouth?  (-:

Tim.