CIFS entensions for UNIX in smbfs

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Sun Jan 27 00:19:11 GMT 2002

I have come across a few issues with SMB_QUERY_FILE_UNIX_LINK and
SMB_SET_FILE_UNIX_BASIC.

Firstly in SMB_SET_FILE_UNIX_BASIC, a SMB_SIZE_NO_CHANGE constant or
flag would be good.  And perhaps a SMB_TIME_NO_CHANGE.

The second issue is to do with symlinks.  Firstly I think
SMB_QUERY_FILE_UNIX_LINK fails because the sbuf already has the S_IFLNK
flag removed.  This might be by design.  The semantics of symlinks get
complex once the server starts modifying them but this might be a good
thing.

In order to test the client code I just added another call to vfs_lstat
before the S_ISLNK check.

The client also needs to know if it should follow symlinks locally or
remotely.  I can think of cases where both could be usefull.  This is a
client only issue but a flag on the server which means never return
symlink info might also be useful.

Anyway, I have symlinks more or less working in smbfs.  Now on to
SMB_SET_FILE_UNIX_LINK...

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Great news ! I'm already thinking about the UNIX ACL extensions and
> fcntl locking...

What is the advantage over fcntl locking over the existing SMBlockingX?
  Or is this just the same but with a sane interface?

John.