PATCH rpc server

Nigel Williams nigel at veritas.com
Sat Jan 26 12:08:03 GMT 2002

Andrew,

I wasn't aware of any issues.  Tim would prefer not to see the silly_ptr
members in the future but changing that now would require a wholesale
rewrite of the share management client/server code.  IMHO the ptr members
reflect the structure seen on the wire and effectively document the NDR.
Wouldn't removing these members force the use of pointers to most top level
members in Q/R structures.  I'm thinking of the unmarshalling of the enum
structure.  The ptrs for all enumerated shares come first followed by the
data (strings etc) for all enumerated shares.  The value of the unmarshalled
ptr indicates whether data should be unmarshalled later. That information
has to be stored somewhere so we either have have a pointer to say the
UNISTR2 structure at the top level and allocate the structure if required or
some flag (ptr variable).

If you are all busy.  Maybe I can help with something?

Rgds

Nigel