smbwall

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Sat Jan 26 06:03:02 GMT 2002

On 25 Jan 2002, Scott Gifford wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at pcug.org.au> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > However, any attempt to make smbd create /dev/ entries is, in my
> > opinion, highly misguided. The consequences in case of error and the
> > cross-platform issues are a major concern to me.  As such, I greatly
> > favor handling this outside smbd where the admin can configure such an
> > arrangement to his/her liking.
>
> Out of curiosity, do you have any technical objections to allocating a
> pseudo-TTY for this purpose, if the admin requests it in the config
> file?  I think that's the easiest solution to this.

As a principle, it seems _something_ needs to generate and maintain such
an entity.  This should have the same name as is used in smbd's utmp code.

As an implementation detail, the identity of this "something" is a topic
of lively debate!

(My test proof-of-concept, implementation did it one way, but this
mechanism does not meet with the approval of the Samba Team.  So I'm
exploring other possibilites, but I am keen that the ideas themselves
aren't put into jeopardy by my (possibly) dubious implementation.)

Hope that helps.