smbwall

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Sat Jan 26 05:55:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Couldn't you write your own versions of 'shutdown' and 'wall' that are
> Samba-aware, and called whatever Samba-wall script you're already using?  In
> the case of 'wall' it could just be a wrapper around the existing binary.
> shutdown is a slightly more complex problem, but a Perl script that did the
> timing and notification, then called the existing shutdown to request an
> immediate shutdown when it was done seems like it'd work.

Thanks for you message.

What I'm trying to do is allow the native utilites ("wall", "write", etc.)
simply to work "as-is", "out of the box" to the SMB client, as though the
client were "just another tty".  (Clearly, this would be a site-chooseable
option.)  Re-inventing many such wheels seems (to me, at least) far less
satisfactory, unnecessarily clumsy, and error-prone.  (But do feel free to
convince me otherwise!)

It would also have the advantage of allowing smbd itself to generate
simple-text messages that would appear as WinPopups on its client.

Hope that helps.