SAMBA architechture

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Jan 25 12:02:04 GMT 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> This may sound harsh, but my take on this is that these guys are
> looking to do an Appliance based on Samba, but don't want to put in
> the hard yards figuring out something about the software :-(
>
> So, the source is not enough, they want free consulting from us to
> help them get up to speed :-( Sheesh!

I tend to disagree (although I may be wrong in this particular
case.  My favorite quote in the recent days was from the
linux kernel ml....

  poster1: Writing documenting wastes a developer's time.
  He (or she) should be writing code.

  poster2: Not writing documetation wastes **other** developers'
  time.

I tend to agree with poster #2.  Besides writing docuemntation
on stablie interfaces tends to make the interface more stable ('cause
people will think twice about making gratitous changes if they have to
document them as well). :-)

chau, jerry
"Who falls entirely too short of this ideal."