Implementing new features in samba and smbfs

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Jan 25 09:27:01 GMT 2002

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:50:15PM +1100, John Newbigin wrote:
>
> > Where can I find this spec?  Or where will I be able to find the updated
> > version?
>
> Search on the web (goggle is your friend).

An out-of-date description of the Unix extensions is, I believe, included
with the SNIA docs:
  http://www.snia.org/English/Work_Groups/NAS/CIFS/WG_CIFS_Docs.html
There are known errors in the above.  Newer versions of the SNIA
documentation are on hold, however, for various reasons.

Searching Google for "CIFS Unix extensions" turned up some older versions
of Byron's documentation on the subject.  It was in MS-Word format, so I
couldn't read it.

> Better to just look at the code in Samba as this is "truth" at present.

What Jeremy means is that practical implementation of these extensions
turned up some problems with the original design.  (Theory and
practice...).  He has fixed these problems in the implementation and the
goal is to document the changes.

Chris -)-----