Implementing new features in samba and smbfs

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 18:09:28 GMT 2002

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:00:52PM +0100, Urban Widmark wrote:

> > [...]
> > >
> > > The server side has been done.  HP had 'CIFS Unix extenstions' in their
> > > version of Samba (known as CIFS/9000) for a while, and Jeremy has ported
> > > it to 2.2 and HEAD (at least in part) in the last few weeks.
> >
> > Has it been merged or is it in the process of being merged?
> >

> > > I'm sure any work on smbfs would be very much apprciated - but contact
> > > the maintainer.
> >
> > Hey! That's me!
> >
> > John, what you want and more (device nodes, symlinks, hard links) is
> > covered by the "CIFS Extensions for UNIX systems v2.0" (use google).
> >

> > Don't know how much you have done but ...
> >
> > The spec adds a SMB_QUERY_FILE_UNIX_BASIC "infolevel" to the protocol.
> >
> > To do the things you listed you need to make smbfs read this and that is
> > done by adding the infolevel to smb_proc_readdir_long() and
> > smb_decode_long_dirent(). Also look at the getattr variants.
> >
> > Changing ownership and permissions is done by smb_notify_change(). It
> > needs to be told when it can do that and then add a new setattr().
> >
> > The spec describes how to detect that a server supports these extensions,
> > it's just a bit in the capabilities word.
>
> The spec will be updated soon to match the implementation
> details (ie. I had to work a few bugs out when implementing).
>
> Jeremy.
Where can I find this spec?  Or where will I be able to find the updated
version?

Also, has any work been done on the way to map users and uid's from one
machine to another?

What about the implications of mounting a root filesystem, assuming no
password is required?

Thanks.

John.

--
Information Technology Innovation Group
Swinburne University. Melbourne, Australia