smbwall

Garry J. Garrett garry_garrett at csgsystems.com
Thu Jan 24 09:56:03 GMT 2002

Attached is a shell script, "smbwall". It basically sends a
"wall" (or really more akin to "rwall") message to anyone
who has a drive mapped via samba.

The shell script uses "smbstatus" to get a list of people
who have drives mapped, then it loops through that list,
using "smbclient" to send a windows pop-up message to the
users.

Of course, perhaps it would be cleaner to graft together
source code from "smbstatus" and "smbclient" into a binary
called "smbwall", but the shell script is functional as
it is.  I run the shell script on Sun Solaris, but I so
nothing about that is Solaris specific.

I am releasing smbwall into the public domain.  You are
free to use it however you wish, and are more than welcome
to include it in the Samba distribution.

Where I find smbwall useful is for things like warning
users about outages, but I can see other uses, like
letting users know that something new has been made
available on their network attached drives, etc.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o             o              __o
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>           <\            -\<,
Mailstop 2-A             4    . . .. />   . . .. ...O/ O
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems  - http://www.csgsystems.com/
CSG Internal - http://intranet/unixops/
My Homepage  - http://garrett.no-ip.com:8080/

       ...Professor Plumb, in the DMZ, with the named pipe...

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems, Inc.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.