Intercepting the fd for printing

Moody, Todd Todd.Moody at usa.xerox.com
Thu Jan 24 09:53:03 GMT 2002

Hello all-

I am looking at integrating Samba 2.2.2  into an embedded printing device,
where limited spooling space for print jobs exists.  Samba's model of
spooling an entire job before submitting it to the printing interface is
going to be a problem in this environment.

I am hoping, instead, to intercept the fd of the spool file and substitute
it with a pipe to another process that will submit the print data for
printing on the fly.

Can anyone provide suggestions or insight into a clean(ish) way to do this?