TDB license (was: Re: tdb performance)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jan 23 13:59:01 GMT 2002

Hi Jeremy,

> So do we. This is why tdb is GPL. We're not going to re-license tdb
> under the LGPL.

> However, we are thinking about allowing an "Open Source" exception
> that allows the use of tdb in Open Source projects only without
> forcing the rest of the project to be GPL also.

See my other message for an explanation of why a special exemption is
not necessary in order to use tdb in a BSD-licensed project.  The GPL
only requires that any derived works created from GPL code be
distributable under the terms of the GPL, which is already true for
BSD-licensed code; there is no requirement that a copyright holder
license their work *exclusively* under the GPL.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer