NO_PROPOGATE_INHERIT_ACE in nt acls

Georgina Russell georgy at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jan 22 12:21:03 GMT 2002

Thanks.
I have some another question ...

It seems that in the translation to Unix mode from NT perms, if any of
GENERIC READ, FILE_READ_DATA, FILE_READ_EA or FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES are
set in the NT perms, the mode is set to S_IRUSR.   Is that correct?

In the translation from Unix mode to NT perms, S_IRUSR becomes
UNIX_ACCESS_R, which is defined as FILE_GENERIC_READ , which is further
defined to be
(STANDARD_RIGHTS_READ_ACCESS|FILE_READ_DATA|FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES|
FILE_READ_EA|SYNCHRONIZE_ACCESS).

It seems like this translation back and forth results in increased
permissions for the NT user in some cases.  (e.g. user only has
FILE_READ_EA, becomes S_IRUSR, and then gets read access to attributes,
data, etc.)  I am misunderstanding something?

Thanks for your help.
-georgy