FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Tue Jan 22 05:51:07 GMT 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> > Have you seen recent findings about AMD CPUs that have a bug when using
> 4MB pages instead of 4KB? I do not know what FreeBSD uses, but this could be
> a hint.
> >
> Apparently FreeBSD is not supposed to have this bug, from what I heard on
> the list, but don't take this as definite, just a little higher than rumor.

FreeBSD uses exactly one 4MB page, corresponding to the first 4 megs of
ram.  So yes, it's safe until 4MB page support is expanded.

Whatever is happening is quite strange and non-random, that's about all I
can state for sure.  (The more testing I do, the less it makes sense.)

To be honest, I guess it's possible that the problem isn't even a general
Via bug, and is instead specific to that model of motherboard or that
specific motherboard... I haven't had the will to disassemble my other
Duron box and start swapping parts yet.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack