Logon & Logoff time

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 21 20:01:02 GMT 2002

>>     Still with my samba 2.2.2 (with ldapsam), the logon time was never
>>updated in the directory;

>Weren't the logontime/logofftime attributes the equivalent of the
>Windows NT account parameters that determine (based on time) when the
>user is supposed to be allowed to log in (as opposed to the time the
>user last logged in)?
>
>Matt

logon_time & logoff_time are different from "logon_hours" both of which
used to be kept in the SAM (before that in the NET.ACC) see user_info_2
structure definition (e.g.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netmgmt/ntlmapi3_0os2.asp).

 LastLogonTime was updated on every logon (via the WWkstaUserLogon and
logoff_time via WWkstaUserLogoff RAP calls) although I don't remember what
happened if you logged on to the Backup instead of the Primary Domain
Controller.

It was an utter nightmare (from a performance perspective) when we tried
years ago to update last_logon_time in a central directory server on every
logon (I think we just ended up storing it locally on the particular logon
server rather than trying to store it centrally and then replicate it with
the rest of the user definition).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin