Winbindd hangs (from today CVS)

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at tellurian.com.au
Mon Jan 21 15:46:02 GMT 2002

Tim Potter wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:59:54AM +1300, Jason Haar wrote:
>

>>[Before I forget. Having a /var/run/winbindd file containing the PID of
>>winbindd would be REALLY good. As it is, if it hangs, how do you find the
>>PID to kill when 'ps' is hanging 'cause winbindd has hung? :-)]
>>

> I run 'killall -9 winbindd' which is probably a linux-ism.  Having a pid
> file is a good idea though.

Linux, FreeBSD and perhaps other Open Source unices. I don't know of any
commercial flavours of unix that have a killall command (apart from
AIX). Don't run killall on AIX though, as it kills all processes owned
by that user (as far as I can tell). Running it as root is not good. :-)

A pid file is a good idea.

Hope it helps,
Matt