FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Fri Jan 18 11:08:07 GMT 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Ok. I'm not going to apply the timeout fix, as I want to keep core
> parts of 2.2.3 as stable as possible.
>
> Let's revisit it for 3.0. In the meantime bug Jordan @ Apple. They
> depend on Samba working and they're running a proprietary FreeBSD
> variant .....
>
> Jeremy.

That sounds reasonable, I'll bug you about it later.

FWIW, further tcpdumps show that packets and/or checksums are getting
corrupted somewhere between the windows and freebsd boxes.  The packets
which fail always fall into one of < 5 values, and there are cases where
retransmitted packets are corrupted every time.

So, it looks like some gremlin has snuck into the freebsd tcp stack, and
samba's just the only app in which it's easy to tickle the problem.

Reasons it may not have been noticed by many people include: tcp
timestamps changing the checksum when packets are retransmitted, making
win2k/me boxes semi-immune, tcp checksum offload causing the card to
verify the checksum and not falsely report errors, freebsd <-> freebsd
transfers succeeding due to the checksum being calculated the same way
on either side, and possibly others.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack