How to Share CD-Writer using Samba

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Jan 18 08:49:19 GMT 2002

Do you need to share the cd-writer via samba, or do you just need an
easy way to share a CD-writer on a unix box to windows users via a nice
interface?

If you don't need to use samba, try webCDwriter:

http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/

It supports burning files that reside on the client or optionally the
server also, can do multi-session, handles data and audio CDs  (with
mp3-conversion), limits on how much data can be written per session, and
default files to put on any CD and many more options.  It also has some
cool command line clients (files2cd and rcdrecord) for unix which allow
you to dump files onto a CD really easily.

Until UDF suppport is stable, support for packet-writing is going to be
difficult. Taking this further off topic than it already is, does anyone
know whether Windows (NT/2k with UDF support via adaptec or similar, or
XP) allows you to share (without issues) a packet-writing interface
across the network?

We already use webCDwriter a lot, but one user has a cdwriter at home,
and would like to be able to use UDF so he doesn't have to erase his CD
each time he wants to add a small file.

Buchan

> Andrew Bartlett  abartlet at pcug.org.au
> Thu Jan 17 22:29:03 2002

> Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> >
>> >I want to share CD-Writer in my Network. Is it
>> >possible using Samba ??  Can anyone pls tell me How to
>> >do the same ?
>> >
>> First explain how you think this would work?
>> > Remember that most CD writers require that a whole CD be burned at once.
>> > Having said that, I can think of a way to share a CD writer, but there
>> are enormous issues that might make it very impractical.
>
> I think the closest you might get is sharing a CD-ReWriter/DVD-RW with
> kernel level support - but I'm not sure how much of this actually exists
> :-)
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
> Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
> Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net
> http://samba.org http://build.samba.org http://hawkerc.net

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202