[patch] alpha_strcpy for HEAD

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jan 18 07:43:06 GMT 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:17:44PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Ihar Viarheichyk wrote:

> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 09:09:06AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > What problem is this patch intended to solve?

> > > See my recent samba-technical post on my I think that this is a bad idea
> > > - the problem should be solved by certifying certain code-paths as
> > > 'stange char safe' rather than changing the definition of 'strange
> > > char'.

> > Current version of alpha_strcpy does not allow use non-ascii usernames,
> > it replaces them with "___". I don't see better way to solve this
> > problem than extend 'valid symbols' definition, as usernames are used in
> > %U substitutions (so this is surely not 'strange char safe' code path).

> > This patch just allow consider _all_ letters (including multibute ones
> > in e.g. UTF-8) as valid symbols.

> Can you tell me that all letters won't include \ ' / " * @ ! .. within
> that multibyte sequence?

Yes.  All multibyte character sets in common use are a superset of
ASCII.  Any that aren't a proper superset of ASCII have more issues than
just Samba stripping out metacharacters.  So if you just remove the set
of ASCII characters that are known to be illegal, it should not pose any
problems for national charsets.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer