Windwows XP Compatibility

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at tellurian.com.au
Thu Jan 17 15:08:04 GMT 2002

John Tatum wrote:
> Gentlemen
>
> Due to the push to get XP on the market, will SAMBA support
> this new breed of OS?

XP Pro is not that different from Windows 2000. I'm not sure what you
class as "support" in this case, but the Samba team have always put a
high priority on connectivity with as many CIFS clients as possible. At
the moment, the latest version of Samba (2.2.2) allows connectivity
between Samba and all existing Windows operating systems (including XP)
and will also support acting as a PDC for those that support it
(currently the equivalent of NT server; No Active Directory Server yet)
and can be a member of an Active Directory domainy thingo or a Windows
NT domain.

> Also I am doing some research in the
> area of mirgrating our NT Servers to LINUX/SAMBA and would
> like to know where would be a good resource of getting the
> material needed to do this migration.  We have a mixture of
> Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows 2000
> workstations.

There are a number of Samba mailing lists. The Samba-technical mailing
list is probably not the best for helping you migrate (it's more for
technical matters), but the samba-ntdom and samba lists are usually full
of highly skilled people who are usually more than happy to help.

Hope this helps,
Matt