FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Wed Jan 16 23:45:06 GMT 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > I've tried comparing network parameters to linux boxes and changing my
> > settings to match with mixed results.  By changing send / receive socket
> > sizes, I am able to change the file in which the problem will occur, but
> > it still occurs.  (Note that at the time of the hang, both send and
> > receive socket buffers are empty; this is not a problem of data simply not
> > being read.)
>
> Can you reproduce this problem on any other system
> than FreeBSD ? I'n particular, can you get this to occur
> on a Linux box ?
>
> I'm wondering if there's a TCP problem between Win98 and
> FreeBSD when transporting SMB (which would be somewhat ironic
> as they took their TCP stack from your source code in the first
> place :-).
>
> Jeremy.

I don't have any linux boxes here to test with, unfortunately.  However, I
did have someone who does run linux/samba try the "serious sam test" for
me, and he reported no problems.  We're going to try to get nearly
identical logs of the copy from linux and freebsd together to see if
that'll help diagnose the problem.

If there's a TCP interaction problem, I think it would have to be one of
three things:

1.  Urgent data.  Does smb use this at all?  I don't think much of
anything does, so it's probably not tested well.

2.  The semantics of FreeBSD's read() and/or write() calls.  Maybe
something is strange here.

3.  The semantics of FreeBSD's select() call.  Maybe we're returning data
ready when there isn't actually any.

I doubt there are any bugs relating to corruption or loss of data at the
transport layer... we'd see those showing up in my large copies or other
cases.

I'll try to get a tcpdump of a failed copy when I have some time.

Thanks,

Mike "Silby" Silbersack