Plugable passdb (SAM) modules

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Jan 16 14:30:23 GMT 2002

Simo Sorce wrote:

> One question comes to mind immediately.
> If I understanded correctly, you want to make it possible to have multiple backend up concurrently.
> Well for read and update[1] operations it may be ok, but what happen when you want to add a new user?
> Which module will be used? Have you planned a way to tell which module to use by default to add a new user? Will it be configurabale?
>
> [1] The update function may be really usefull to automatically switch from smbpasswd to tdb_sam moving accounts every time they are updated, smoothly, or to ldap or... there would be nice to have a "passdb update = pdb_unix, pdb_tdb" that would for example convert a the account from normal system accounts to tdb_sam accounts for example, thus creating samba account just changing the password.
>
> does this make sense?

The 'pluggable' functionality only allows one passdb at a time for
access via the existing interface.  I assign a static variable that
contains a pointer to the context that is initialised at startup.

However, I have allowed for muliple passdb backends to operate at the
same time when they create their own context.  This is designed for
things like a samcopy utility, which will know how to open two passdbs
at the same time.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net