samba-technical digest, Vol 1 #1226 - 9 msgs

Neil Goldberg ngoldber at mitre.org
Wed Jan 16 12:34:02 GMT 2002

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:30:37 -0800
> To: samba-technical at lists.samba.org
> From: Darin DeCounter <ddecounter at lvrj.com>
> Subject: error - mounting from Windows 95
>
> We're in the process of installing/configuring samba.  I'm at 1.9 Step 8
> (everything else seems to have checked out up to this point).  When I try
> to mount a disk with Windows 95 (by typing c:\windows\> net use g:
> \\testsrv\ads from the 'run' line), it gives an error msg
>
> "Cannot find the file 'c:\windows\>' (or one of it's components).  Make
> sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
> available."

You're not supposed to type in "C:\windows\>"... that represents the
prompt where you type stuff in. Just do this:
net use g: \\testsrv\ads

As a seperate issue, I would consider upgrading Samba to 2.x.y (2.0.10
maybe), 1.9 is pretty old...

Also, this was probably better suited for the samba-general mailing
list, not the technical one.

Neil Goldberg