Plugable passdb (SAM) modules

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Wed Jan 16 09:09:01 GMT 2002

One question comes to mind immediately.
If I understanded correctly, you want to make it possible to have multiple backend up concurrently.
Well for read and update[1] operations it may be ok, but what happen when you want to add a new user?
Which module will be used? Have you planned a way to tell which module to use by default to add a new user? Will it be configurabale?

[1] The update function may be really usefull to automatically switch from smbpasswd to tdb_sam moving accounts every time they are updated, smoothly, or to ldap or... there would be nice to have a "passdb update = pdb_unix, pdb_tdb" that would for example convert a the account from normal system accounts to tdb_sam accounts for example, thus creating samba account just changing the password.

does this make sense?

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org