directories in mysql db.

Ulf Bertilsson ulf.bertilsson at adcomdata.no
Wed Jan 16 06:12:04 GMT 2002

> Hi !
>
> This mail will consist of one big thought and you fellows will most
> probably laugh and throw empty cokecans in my direction. :)
>
> Well, here goes nothing...
>
> I have developed a web-file archive on unix which is used by a lot of
> people. The files in the archive is not stored on the disk as usual,
> instead the filenames and "properties" of the file is saved in a
> mysqltable(really any database, but currently mysql) and on
> the file is
> saved to disk with a id number as filename. The idnumbered
> filenames are
> hashed in directory tree, depending on configuration.
>
> However, my bold question is!
>
> Can I modify samba to get filenames and stuff from a mysqltable upon
> directory listing and when the file is accessed read the data from my
> directory tree?
>
> I guess this is very possible, the question is if it is A LOT
> of work or
> just some work. :) Much of it depends on how the functions are
> abstracted within the samba source.
>
> I havent looked much at the source in this respect, but maybe someone
> with some feeling for the source could give me some thoughts
> about this.

I belive, as Greg just stated.
The VFS layer might be the place.

I also think a mini "smbclient" with some of the
functionality I talked about might do the trick.

The Amiga port has an custom wrapper to handle the file IO,
as the Amiga filesystem is somewhat different.

I belive the VMS port might have the same.

Might worth a look.

Cool stuff :)