(Lack Of) Resilience Of WINS Registration

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Jan 15 11:42:06 GMT 2002

Martin.Sheppard at csiro.au wrote:
> We have the same problem with WINS registrations disappearing
> here. We do have redundant [Windows] WINS servers and we do
> have replication between them and yet we still have this problem.

	Hmmn: makes one want to have YP/NIS or LDAP
	backing store for the wins.dat file so one
	can fail over and/or provide local servers
	in multiple locations.

	Something of a longer-term issue, though.

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com