(Lack Of) Resilience Of WINS Registration

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Tue Jan 15 09:08:42 GMT 2002

On 15Jan2002, Chris Hertel wrote :

>> Andrew Bartlett wrote :
>>
>> This is a old samba bug thats been known about for a *long* time.  I
>> think sombody finally fixed it in recent 2.2.  Basically, Samba doens't
>> re-register, it assumes that the WINS server is stable and doesn't loose
>> entries.
>
> Yes, I've been told the same by others...

Fantastic - thanks a lot folks.   IIUC, you're saying a Samba server will
now periodically re-register ...
FWIW, are we saying this rumour about NT WINS servers "tickling" their
clients to check for signs of life is unfounded ?

>> On a similar issue, Samba's wins server now keeps its entries
>> across a restart.

Wahey - features .. features ..

> This we have done for a while.  One of the reasons for the WINS.DAT file.
>
>>Well for a while there we had the WINS.DAT, but still oblitorated it at
>>each startup ;-)
>
> We did?  Ouch.

The Doctor sez : "Always initialise your storage before using it."   ;-)

Thanks for all the answers.  So the "re-registration" fix is in 2.2.2 ?
If so, I'll have another look at upgrading (I hit a compiling problem on
Tru64 last time, as those kind enough to try to help me may remember - see
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2001-October/031968.html).

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK