Current patch for DHCP discovery of WINS servers

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Mon Jan 14 21:13:03 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at pcug.org.au> writes:

[...]

> Basicly the disucssion was that every client tool should not do a
> dhcp query - that nmbd would have to do the query and store it in
> some form of cache.  It looks like we are going to get that sometime
> soon, so your patch might finally make it in :-).

While this topic has come up, I wanted to point to some work I've done
to make a DHCP client more extensible.  After getting the settings
from the DHCP server, it makes them all available in the environment,
then runs a series of scripts /etc/rc.d style.  It also runs the
scripts whenever an interface is taken down or has a lease renewed.
This would be a perfect way to capture any Samba-specific information
that comes from DHCP server with zero overhead.

It's still quite rough around the edges, but I've been using it on two
machines for several months.  The sources I patched against and my
patch are available at:

    http://www.suspectclass.com/~sgifford/dhcp/

This is based on Sergei Viznyuk's dhcpcd.

Please email me if you are interested, and I'll be happy to provide
more information.  If there's interest I could be convinced to clean
it up a bit and do a more formal release, or push harder to get the
necessary patches incorporated into the mainstream.

----ScottG.