(Lack Of) Resilience Of WINS Registration

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Jan 14 19:55:01 GMT 2002

Yes.  Others on the Team set me straight on this.  It is a known problem,
it seems.  Minor, unless it hits you.

> Browsing is definitely not the issue for us, the problem is that the WINS
> registration disappears. We solved the problem by setting up static WINS
> registrations for all of our samba servers, but it would be nicer if samba
> could handle this in the same way that NT does.

It was explained to me that what Windows clients do is periodically
refresh their entries with the WINS database.  Seems we don't do this,
assuming a more stable WINS I guess.

Good to know.  I need to add this to my docs.

Chris -)-----