netbios over tcp/ip on samba

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Jan 14 10:52:03 GMT 2002

Tony,

Samba implements the NBT layer.  Specifically, the NBT packet management
required to perform NetBIOS over TCP.  Samba *does not* implement the
NetBIOS API.  The NetBIOS API itself is not required for SMB and the point
of Samba is SMB.

There has been talk of writing a NetBIOS API tool but, as it turns out,
very very few people would actually find such a thing useful.  It would be
more useful to provide access to the NBT layer via a better, simpler API.
Samba does not (yet) do this.

I say "yet" because it is an area of interest for me.  If it can be made
to work without in any way compromising Samba's performance or security
then I may see if I can add it in.  That is a very, very big set of "if"s.
As I said, there is really no need for Samba itself to provide access to
the NBT layer.  I would need to justify any such change--first to myself
and then to the rest of the team--before adding anything new.  This is
reasonable.  We need to serve the largest number of users, and breaking
big things to add small things doesn't make sense.

Anyway, as I think of it... I think I see how it might be done.  Samba
currently supports File and Print shares.  I would need to add a new share
type.  This would work for NetBIOS Sessions, anyway.  The new share type
would work something like inetd, launching a pre-defined (in smb.conf)
program when a connection request was made and exchanging data via a UNIX
domain socket.  That back-end program would get the full packet,
including the NBT header, so that we could multiplex multiple connections
using the NetBIOS name.

Anyway, that's my first-draft design.  For more on the workings of
NetBIOS over TCP (NBT) see:  http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/
...just some stuff I'm writing.

Chris -)-----