wbinfo -a uses plaintext authentication ...

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 14 07:27:32 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>In particular I feel that the 'net' command should be reserved for
>commands that actually interact with the network, and we should have a
>separate tool for things like setting winbind non-anonymous
>usernames/password and winbind testing.
I don't agree on this point...that in general 'net' should only be for
immediate network interaction.  The windows/os2 command often interacts
only with the local machine.  But it should have something to do with the
network.  Setting an option locally that affects network interaction is
still consistent with the 'net' command.

>The wbinfo case is interesting because provides a very nice way to
>example all the winbind calls.  In fact it would almost standalone if
>not for the secrets.tdb stuff.  When we have groups like squid also
>looking to use winbind having a clear single example (and testing)
>executable makes everybody's life easier.
This is a much better argument for keeping this function outside of 'net'.
Or perhaps the 'net' command should link in the wbinfo functionality,
giving the unified interface for samba setups, and the standalone
convenience for winbind-only setups.

----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center