KLOC in Samba? interoperability issues]

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Fri Jan 11 22:34:03 GMT 2002

>  SAMBA 3 was 340,000 lines of code, last time i checked, 2 years
>  ago.  it's probably more like 380,000 by now, i guess.

The bit I find really intriguing is Lukes latest claims on
advogato. Lets look at the claims:

     .. additionally, you should be aware that the work on which they have "earned
     their position" - is about 25% to 30% Copyright ME, with failures to
     acknowledge or credit that very commonplace. most of the really _useful_
     architectural decisions they make are MINE

wow! I had no idea Luke was so prolific!

As a reality check I thought I'd ask the cvs tree who had written
what. Obviously it was all written by Luke, but why not just
check. You never know what you might find!

In the current samba.org HEAD branch we have:

    tridge    81208  29%
       jra    78793  28%
       jfm    19859  7%
      tpot    19071  6%
      lkcl    15336  5%
  abartlet    11112  4%
     jerry     9469  3%
  samba-bu     8371  3%
       crh     7777  2%
    sharpe     5835  2%
      jmcd     4488  1%
      idra     4189  1%
      herb     1720  0%
       jht     1544  0%
       dmo     1474  0%
       mbp     1366  0%
    kalele      893  0%
   vlendec      560  0%
     matty      198  0%
     monyo      162  0%
   sfrench      158  0%
   jdblair      157  0%
       mhw      135  0%
     oliva       74  0%
     anton       44  0%
   ictinus       12  0%

oh oh, somethings wrong. Where did the rest of Lukes code go?

Oh, I know. It was in the SAMBA_TNG branch that he spent 6 years on
between 1998 and 2000 (a miracle of modern science in itself). Lets
check the stats for SAMBA_TNG, after all, he was virtually the sole
committer on that branch for a long long time.

In the SAMBA_TNG branch of samba.org we have:

       jra   135233  42%
    tridge    77289  24%
      lkcl    40356  12%
      tpot    12939  4%
       jfm    12134  3%
  samba-bu     9231  2%
     jerry     8638  2%
       crh     7445  2%
      idra     3438  1%
  abartlet     2285  0%
     matty     1845  0%
      herb     1538  0%
    kalele     1373  0%
    sharpe      981  0%
       mbp      834  0%
       dmo      767  0%
   vlendec      548  0%
      jmcd      230  0%
   jdblair      157  0%
       mhw      135  0%
     monyo      130  0%
     oliva       75  0%
     anton       46  0%
       jht       29  0%
   ictinus       12  0%
   sfrench        6  0%

oh well, maybe that could have something to do with the fact that
jeremy had to fix just about every line of code he committed to make
it actually compile and work? Naah, that couldn't be it. Luke is
infallible.

For completeness here is the 2.2 branch:

       jra    86295  32%
    tridge    81036  30%
      tpot    18508  6%
       jfm    18286  6%
      lkcl    16701  6%
  samba-bu     9209  3%
     jerry     8161  3%
       crh     7782  2%
    sharpe     4577  1%
      idra     4177  1%
  abartlet     3842  1%
      herb     1787  0%
       jht     1601  0%
       dmo     1477  0%
       mbp     1022  0%
    kalele      898  0%
      jmcd      721  0%
   vlendec      560  0%
     matty      192  0%
   jdblair      157  0%
       mhw      135  0%
     monyo      130  0%
     oliva       74  0%
     anton       46  0%
   sfrench       32  0%
   ictinus       12  0%

Well, I can only assume that aliens or the CIA broke into our CVS
server and changed the logs. Yeah, that must be it.

Cheers, Tridge

PS: All numbers to be taken with large spoonfulls of salt of
course. See Lukes page for the really accurate numbers.