SAMBA CORE DUMPING?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 11 01:45:48 GMT 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 gouldantony at netscape.net wrote:

> The SAMBA server (version 2.0.7) is being hosted from AIX (version 4.3.3.0.08), and has been set up to serve an NT domain community.
>
> SAMBA is frequently suffering sizable core dumps at the very time an NT SMS server attempts to affect SMS operations on it (syslog confirms this!).
>
> I've already tried to get our NT people exclude this AIX system from daily SMS access, but to no avail.
>
> IS THERE A FIX/PATCH FOR THIS TYPE OF THING, AND/OR IS THERE SOME WAY I CAN CONFIGURE SAMBA OR AIX TO PREVENT THIS TYPE OF ACCESS.

Firstly, any core dump (or sig11) is a Samba bug - even if MS's SMS caused
it.  Could you please try out a later Samba version (2.2.2 is current
stable)?  Also, there is a MS KnowlegeBase article about a similar thing
to this - I think the SMS stuff will mess will the NT machine running it
as well.  Search for 'Samba' should find it.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net