(no subject)

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 10 11:50:02 GMT 2002

Chris,
You are right the Unix extensions are in the SNIA CIFS spec in Appendix D.
The specifications for the individual Unix specific info levels themselves
are interspersed through the document in the FILE_INFO and PATH_INFO and
FIND_FIRST sections.

I will investigate implementing the Unix extensions in my CIFS Linux VFS
prototype (which I have just started working on again).   The combination
of running Winbind and an enhanced VFS module (implementing at least the
FIND_FIRST extension) for a Linux client should be a visible improvement
for the user.  This is excellent news.

I am still curious whether we will discover future XP or .Net server levels
which will make obsolete/redundant the level 201 and 203 infolevels (for
soft and hard links) given that Microsoft already introduced a slightly
different form of link into NTFS (which their Windows 2000 Groveler service
takes advantage of) to achieve "copy-on-write" behavior saving diskspace
for their disk space intensive RIS client images.