relationship between DCE/RPC and NT Named Pipes.

ntb at mts.ru ntb at mts.ru
Wed Jan 9 23:56:09 GMT 2002

Greetings.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

[...]

> in other words, it is possible to implement NamedPipes
> in SAMBA-3, knowing absolutely _nothing_ about dce/rpc
> _whatsoever_, and then to give the API functions to
> a dce/rpc developer and say, "write a transport plugin
> module for your dce/rpc runtime environment that uses
> _this_ api", and they can.

This is almost exactly that I want to say, with one addition:
Samba itself listens some arbitrary pipes to provide DC functionality.
(AFAIK, they are NETLOGON, SAMR and LSARPC. And SPOOLSS,
but this is a different story). And if this "named pipe api" isn't providing
a way to stop samba from listening them _itself_, I think it will be
impossible
to do many good things using this api. That's all.

> but - and i'll say it again - without that "Named Pipe"
> API in SAMBA-3, there's absolutely _no_ point in any
> further discussion, as no progress can be made.
>
> lkcl

SMTP /Perece/.