Mini C project - Digging the source ?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jan 8 21:32:02 GMT 2002

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

>>>Libsmbclient is based on Samba and uses a lot of samba-isms.  On any
>>>system with nmbd running, that's okay.  If I recall correctly, however,
>>>libsmbclient does things like read packets out of the unexpected packet
>>>database.  Again, this is okay on systems running nmbd.
>>>
>>Actually, I never did that, but did similarly egregious things. It no
>>longer does anything like that.
>>

>Ah.  Very nice.  It would be great if libsmbclient could stand alone.
>
>Um... is the SMB layer separated from the NBT layer?

To be honest, libsmbclient makes use if the libsmb routines. Thus,
libsmbclient's SMB layer is as separated from MBT as libsmb's is.

I think libsmb has been coded to make it possible to do port 445 work.

>>>Also, libsmbclient is designed for Unix.  I know Ulf's platform, and it
>>>isn't Unix.
>>>
>>Yes, that is true :-)
>>

>Could probably be fixed...  ;)

libsmbclient presents a posix-like interface, but the code is all
vanilla C code, that should port reasonably easily to other platforms,
like VMS and the Amiga.

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba