SMB as an RPC protocol.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 8 13:47:20 GMT 2002

> "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
>
> > So... "why use the kernels api for writing packets, we might as well right
> > them direct to the card."  Yes.  People do this.  It's not as unusual as
> > you think.
>
> Intresting I had not realised that Samba had been design
> without use of an IDL or RPC library for performance
> reasons :)

What?

I really have no idea what you are getting at with the above comment.

Samba was designed before the use of IDL was really known, and before RPC
libraries were common practice to implement.  Also, avoiding layering can
improve performance.

Samba, of course, is built to be portable, so it is a layered product.
It's simply a question of where the layers are separated.

...anyway, I'm really not sure what you're saying so I'm doing a poor job
of replying here.

Chris -)-----