CVS update: tng/source/passdb

David Allan Finch david.allan at finch.org
Tue Jan 8 09:58:03 GMT 2002

Simo Sorce wrote:

> It has been created as a file and print sharing tool, where MS forced then
> to add support of a little amount of dce/rpc (and lately ldap) to maintain compatibility, this is the only reason why rpc made it's way into samba I think.

Nope - SMB "is" an RPC protocol IFAIK the samba team
originaly did not know this (*1) and implemented as a standard client
server protocol. The fact that an RPC protocol 'is' also
a standard protocol because it is only a layer of abstract
build on a standard client server, is the only reason
why samba as is works. To follow your logic
to its extram "why use the kernels api for writing packets,
we might as well right them direct to the card." :)

(*1) even thought I did point it out as well, I think
before Luke was even on the team before the split.