CVS update: tng/source/passdb

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Jan 7 20:19:01 GMT 2002

> > right, see the glue pipe.
>
> good.  finally.

finally!? I have explained this to you lots of times. Heck, I even
wrote you some sample code when you were at Linuxcare that showed how
it could be done.

> > I don't imagine any of this
> > (which has been said so many times before)
>
> not to me it hasn't.

As just one example see my email to you entitled 'Re: dce/rpc "client"
api' on 22nd August 2000.  You even replied to the email and seemed to
understand it at the time.

anyway, the past really doesn't matter. If the TNG developers are
happy with a loadable module and a small glue module that allows
existing TNG pipes to work then all that needs to be done is a little
bit of coding to implement it.

Could some of the people who are working on TNG comment on if they
think this approach would be useful? Do you even care any more about
being able to run your pipes in non-TNG Samba?

The Samba HEAD code will probably get a more general purpose modules
interface in the next couple of weeks anyway, as we want to be able to
load things like auth modules. I've discussed the details of this with
a few team members to try to get a decent API and I think the design
is coming along quite nicely. It is basically the same as the
init_module()/register_SUBSYSTEM() method that the Linux kernel uses.

So if somebody does want to write a TNG glue module then they should
find it quite easy to do once this module interface is in place.

Cheers, Tridge