Info on Winbind drastically needed please.

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Jan 7 17:30:02 GMT 2002

On 7 Jan 2002, Mark Cooke wrote:

> So am I correct in thinking that for every user that tries to log in
> using winbind, that even though it says in the smb.conf file:
>  template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>
> that you have to manually create every user's home dir that may login to
> the linux box?

Setup a root preexec script on [homes]

[homes]
	root preexec = /usr/bin/buildhome.sh %U %H

#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -f $2 ]; then
	mkdir -p $2
	chown $1 $2
fi

> If this is incorrect, would it be implemented in the future on samba
> to automatically create the user is the user is successfully
> authenticated ?

No.  We've already had a discussion on this and it is noty winbind's
responsibility to do this.  There are good solutions such as "root
preexec" and the pam_mkhomedir.so module available.

chau, jerry