Info on Winbind drastically needed please.

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Jan 7 13:52:03 GMT 2002

Hello Mark,
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that winbindd, etc has any provision
for CREATING the home directory for the user when he telnets in.  The
'template homedir'  parameter simply tells winbind what to pass back to the
getXbyY system calls that the unix login, etc programs are using to get user
information.  So the home directories must exist.  Otherwise if you have a
shell/login daemon that will not allow you to make your pwd "/"  or the root
directory (which is what in my experience is done on HPUX when the home
directory information, for instance in the /etc/passwd file, is incorrect)
then you would get the behavior you talk about.  Since it is the UNIX login
process that is refusing to allow the login to complete (probably because it
doesn't like the idea of a normal user having '/' as its working directory)
you aren't going to see any messages relating to the failure in any of the
samba logs.

Just my 2 cents worth,
don